Happy Summer, friends! Hope you're all enjoying yourselves so far. For the first time ever, I'm taking my girl to this fairy festival. I've heard great things about it and we are so excited. You know I couldn't take her to this event without something special to wear. I made her this adorable fairy outfit. I had everything on hand. I realize most people probably don't have all of this on hand, but I never said I was normal. Check it out, friends:
I cannot sew a zipper so I decided to make the bodice shirred. I didn't follow a pattern or measure anything, and I only pinned a few pieces. I just threw this together, okay? Okay. Shirring is super easy. The trick is you have to manually load your bobbin with elastic thread. I only had black elastic thread, not ideal considering the fabric is white, but no one will ever see it anyway.
With your bobbin loaded with elastic thread you sew row after row, until your garment has the amount of shirring you want. You still use regular thread for the needle.
Initially I wanted the front of the bodice to be plain, un-shirred I guess, but I had a problem.
Remember I didn't measure anything? The bodice was way too loose on my girl, so after I had already assembled the dress I ended up shirring the entire bodice. Winging it here, friends. The first bodice wouldn't fit over my girls shoulders, so yes, that equals three different attempts at the bodice. I also want to mention here that the floral fabric is a vintage pillowcase cut in half.
I made the skirt out of chambray and haphazardly attached it to the bodice and I did this with the elastic thread still in the bobbin. I'm not going to lie, this part was hard, thus the lack of pictures.
I wanted the dress to be full and flow, so I attached torn strips of seersucker around the waist in various lengths.
My girl would have loved it to be strapless, but she's 5 and that doesn't fly with me. I attached wide chambray straps that cross in the back.
So darling! It needed more though. Next up: Wings
This is called interfacing. It's used to give shape and add form, like in a purse for example.
I folded the interfacing in half and cut out this design.
Opened up, the design turns into wings.
I set the wings on top of some fabric (a sheet from Target) and I placed another piece of fabric on top. My wings made out of interfacing were sandwiched between the two pieces of fabric.
I wasn't about to iron or fold anything under to make perfect seams. I cut the design out about an inch wider than the interfacing.
I zigzag stitched around the perimeter of the wings. You could use any stitch I suppose. I was feeling zigzaggy, so that's what I did.
I wanted more texture, so I cut this diamond shaped doily in half.
I placed the doily in the middle of a folded over piece of seersucker and zigzag stitched along the edge.
Doily/seersucker sash, perfect amount of texture. This is removable and not attached to the dress.
Now to attach the wings, I stitched them directly onto the bodice of the dress, down the middle of the wings, in the middle of the back of the dress. The seersucker bow poking out is the tie from the doily/seersucker sash.
I cut out a little heart from the leftover bodice fabric and sewed it to the wings, like a sweet fairy tattoo.
The girl LOVES it. Hopefully tomorrow will be fun! Hope you all have a lovely weekend!