Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Homemade Pumpkin Crayons


Did you know you can order custom boxes of crayons directly from Crayola?


Neither did I, until I was searching for lots of orange crayons on Ebay.  I decided to go direct to the source and whadda-ya-know, custom boxes of 64 crayons are available.  Only drawback is you can only choose four colors per box, which was totally fine by me for this project.


I've wanted to try this for a long time and since my girl's class doesn't allow edible treats on Halloween I thought this would be fun and something different for her to "treat" her class to.



We had a little play date with one of Sutton's classmates.  Her mom is also a blogger, small world right?!  You can find Danielle's blog, Domestic Dish, here.  I have a hard time with impromptu play dates these days, but this worked out perfectly.  I was able to orchestrate my week (aka Sutton's homework schedule) around this play date in advance.  Plus Danielle was able to pick up Sutton from school that day and brought her right to my house.


I provided the place and the craft supplies and Danielle provided the snack.  Look how cute!  She made the snack tray like a graveyard, tortillas were cut like tombstones and pumpkins.


We nibbled our snacks on festive plates and napkins and


Danielle and I sipped these mommy drinks.  Have you seen these?  They are so darn cute!  They should offer the cans in a variety of colors to coordinate with different party themes.


After the crayons were peeled, the girls broke them into pieces and put them in the silicone molds.


The second time around I put the silicone mold on a cookie sheet.  The last thing I wanted to do is get burned or spill hot wax all over the place because the silicone mold is floppy.  The cookie sheet keeps things stable.  We put the cookie sheet in a 250 degree oven and melted the crayons for about 15 minutes.


Then we let the crayons cool and when they were solid again, popped them out of the mold.  At this point I packaged up some crayons for Danielle and her girl.  They headed home and I kept on cooking...for a few days!


I needed 99 crayons.  I wanted to give each child 3 different crayons and there's 33 kids in the class.


I couldn't forget about the packaging.  That's my favorite part.  It doesn't matter if it's for a five year old or an adult, I love packaging!  Since the crayons are for classmates, I thought it would be fun to include these library cards.  I've been waiting for the perfect time to use these.  You can buy these at teacher's supply stores in packs of 50 for cheap.


I stamped each library card with a Happy Halloween stamp using embossing ink and powder.  I folded the crayons up nicely in natural colored wax paper bags.  To finish them off I taped the library card with polka dot washi tape.

Supplies:

Stamps and Washi Tape- Paper Source
Crayons- Crayola
Wax Paper Bags- Etsy
Library Cards- Lakeshore Learning
Similar Silicone Mold- Joann

Hopefully I'll be back sooner than later in this space.  Seems like I might be back in my groove, as far as blogging goes anyway :)

Smiles,
Amber





5 comments:

  1. Amber!!! This is so cute. What an adorable idea and fun project for S and her friend! I pinned it last night, but had to come back and leave a comment. Love the photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made some with my kids this summer (with a silicon muffin pan). I spilled wax in the oven and it smelled bad when I preheated for at least a month! I love the pumpkin shape... and especially the packaging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you tell me how many crayons it took to get 99 pumpkins? I need about the same amount, and am trying to figure out how many to buy. Adorable - by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply! I think I bought two boxes of 64 crayons plus I bought a box of really big orange crayons off of ebay.

      Delete