Monday, October 22, 2012

Apple Hill



This past weekend we took a very quick trip up North to my hometown in the foothills of Northern California, just to go to Apple Hill and to visit my parents.  There is nothing in Southern California quite like Apple Hill.  There are vineyards bordered with apple orchards bordered with pine trees.  There are about 50 different stops you can make along an "Apple Trail" and you will find everything apple, from apple cider shakes and apple beer to apple donuts and endless varieties of apple pies and apple butters.


Apple Hill is the best of fall in one place.






Sometimes you just park your car right in the orchard.


There are many activities for the kids, fishing in ponds, face painting, pony rides.



Around every bend in the road are quaint, family owned ranches.



There are pumpkin patches sprinkled along the Apple Trail as well.




Some of the Apple Orchards are You-Pick orchards and at others they do all the work for you and you can buy apples out of bins.


We always stop at the Jack Russell Brewery.  Ever heard of a Meadery?


Mead  is a type of honey wine.  The Jack Russell Brewery makes their own Blackberry Mead made with local honey.  I tried it, but it was too sweet for my taste.  I'll stick to the hard cider next time.


 


Yesterday my girl got to feed my parent's pet deer from their deck.  My parent's can almost hand feed a couple of these deer.  They have two different families of deer that hang around their property.


It was hard to leave this last night.  It was hard to leave the space, the trees, the slower pace, and it's hard to take the special time my girl gets to spend with my parents away.  I'm making some changes in my life right now, changes to really slow down.  I'm limiting the commitments I take on and minimizing my exposure to social media.  I think I've probably said that before, but this time I mean it!  Nothing like a trip to my hometown to ground me and bring me back to Earth.  Happy Monday!








4 comments:

  1. I hear you on the social media thing. It feeds insecurity for me,by way of comparison, in addition to just taking up time I'd rather spend with the kids or reading :) Easier said than done, though, I'm learning.

    And I love the apple pics! We used to go to this little apple town near LA each fall and it was similar- apple picking, apple everything to eat. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, you have nothing to be insecure about! You are a smart and successful woman, with a career that you are passionate about and love. See, something is wrong with this picture. You are not the only person I know that feels like you do. I told my husband I think social media is going to be the end of society. Ha! I've been pretty disconnected over the past ten days and I can't tell you how peaceful it has been. I'd love to know your husband's opinion on this subject.

      Delete
  2. Great pics! all of them. The apple trail is amazing. I was reminded of my waikiki vacation .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have stopped reading blogs b/c they consumed so much of my time, though I miss them terribly. I LOVE yours! I may read the entire thing today and get nothing done! SO if you see me pin the heck out of your blog, this is why! xoxo

    ReplyDelete